Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Old West 50k race recap

I woke up at 4am so I could be in my car and on my way to pick up Phillip (my friend ) by 4:30am. When it comes to race day you should always plan on being there an hour early. We arrived at      6 am and I had plenty of time to check in and get dressed and have a cup of coffee. The race started right on time and off we went at 7am. 
This race is through Anza Borrego Desert in the spring. I never really thought I loved the desert but when I ran this race for the first time I feel in love. My pictures do not do it justice there is so much purple and the weather this year was what they call "perfect running weather".  
Throughout the entire 50k course there is only 2500 feet of elevation gain and loss. That makes running 31 miles a-lot easier.
I was so excited to run this year because last year the race was canceled. Lucky for us Pinnacle Endurance brought it back this year and did a wonderful job.
This is the best I have ever felt for 31 miles. I know the weather and sand helped. I really like running in sand I am not sure why but I really do. I have been trying to run everyday for the last 6 weeks I missed a day but what I have been trying to do is get used to running even when I feel like crap and when I do not want too. My reason for that is this. I am going  to run the San Diego 100 miler in June and I want to be a stronger runner. That for me means I do not want to chase cut offs. Chasing cut offs makes the race so intense for me and to be honest I would like to know what it is like to run 100 miles with out feeling like I am going to time out...I also figured out my nutrition and that really helps. 
I felt oddly strong the entire time. I was so happy too. I listened to the Gypsy Kings and sang the whole time. I chased a girl I knew I wouldn't catch but I loved trying. I finished in 5:21 that's my 50k PR and  26 minutes faster than my last 50k. Good Times !!
I feel really lucky and blessed to be healthy enough to run and to have such awesome friends to do it with.
Strength doesn't come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't .

No comments: