Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2015

San Diego 100 miler part 2

It's starting to get late and here I am still happy but I am hungry and starting to feel grumpy. I knew Charlene was waiting for me with food and a change of clothes. I was nauseous and my back hurt a-lot from carrying the pack I think. I have a huge respect for those people who did this solo. I do not think I could have done this with out Charlene and Jeff. I had warm food waiting for me at some aid stations and lots of awesome pats on the back and words of encouragement. 

Here I have been running for 13 hours. I am getting ready to put  my night clothes on and be on my way. I did learn that staying in the aid stations is not recommended  The best most comfy chair I ever sat in was at an aid station. The best soup I ever had was at an aid station. My legs felt the best sitting in the chair at the aid station. You get what I am saying. Do not sit in the chair at the aid satin for more than 2 min, especially after 50 miles. 

This was my last smile for the next couple hours. Not really but the next 40 miles where nothing like the first 56. They sucked.

I am not a good night time runner. I walked for most of it and I hated how hard it was for me. I did not hate the experience but I wish I would of been more prepared. I don't really have lows when I go on long runs . I have written this before I am not a fast runner I am consistent and I just want to be out there running. I love it. So I don't have lows because I eat a-lot and I just go at Gloria's pace.  I experienced a-lot of lows at this race. I am going to call it Gloria night time lows. Holy Cow I was so tired and all I wanted to do was sleep. I kept asking Jeff to please let me take a nap and as my pacer he was smart and said no. Chances are I would not get up. Jeff got me through the night . He used all the tricks in the book. I don't know how I got through it just that I did. Thank you to my awesome friend Jeff. You were a great Pacer.


This was when he stopped pacing me and what I am saying to him is please don't go Jeff. I was cutting it close and I only had about a 45 minute window. I wanted to make sure I made it and we bonded. He totally came through for me. Running this distance taught me so much about myself. Its such a humbling experience and I am so glad I got to share it with such a good friend. My dad picked me up here and he ran the last 6 miles with me. He was funny and full of energy. Not much could go wrong at this point. I think I was feeling better but I felt like such a baby. To tired to walk and complaining about being tired and hey at this point I have been running for 29 hours so. I was not being happy G anymore. I was done. Here is what got me through thoughts about all my friends waiting for me. The Trail Crashers had all finished hours ago and Ricky took 4th so Becca and him were waiting for 10 hours so how could I let them down. The other thing was if I didn't finish I would have to come back next year. At this point I really didn't want to come back . The last thing was I have been talking and dreaming about this forever. I kept reminding myself how much I wanted this. I have dreamed about this moment forever so here it was. I felt like shit but I was living my dream and with that I finished my first 100 mile race in 31:12 minutes. 
and as I crossed the finish line there was to my surprise My family Mike and Jack. My mom and brother and my sister and sister in law. My nieces and nephews and my friends. All the people I love standing there waiting for me cheering me on. Paul Jesse gave me my medal and the amazing Angie gave me my buckle. 

This was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. It was nothing like I imagined it was so much better. It has changed me forever for the better. I am so glad I choose the San Diego 100 as my first 100. It was so well marked that I never had to worry about not being on the right trail. The aid stations had really good people that cared and took good care of you. It is such a good race I highly recommend it if you are looking for a beautiful race experience. I would give it 5 stars.
Thank you to my good friends the Trail Crashers for helping me train properly and feel prepared for this. Charlene and Jeff for crewing me and pacing me. Mike for taking care of the kids every Saturday and Sunday mornings I could go run. My family for showing up and being supportive. 

No comments: