Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

She is Whimsical

 This was my last painting of 2012.  I love painting girls. I just like that every girl can be her own collaboration. I am learning to paint with no expectations. I am sure I am not the only one who looks on line at all the amazing artist out there and feels a little down with their own abilities.   My biggest creative fear really is not finding my own style. I do not want to copy someone else's style. I want to get inspired but I do not want to straight up copy someone else's art... I was at an art retreat and I was talking to Danita who is a wonderful woman and a very talented artist.  She said something that resinated with me.  She told me that it was OK to copy someones style because that's how you learn.  She said what's not OK is to copy someone's style and sell it as your own. That changed my mindset... 
This whimsical girl is living above my bathtub.  I chose the word spirit because she reminds me that I need to nurture my spirit.  She also reminds me to dream.  Dreams are like like a garden, they grow and flourish when maintained and acted upon. ( I read that somewhere) If you can dream her you can paint her...

1 comment:

K8 said...

yes, that's a great mindset! I get so frustrated with art sometimes because I just do not know where to start! I find I am great at copying people but then I don't want to be a copycat...so then I just don't do anything! but I guess I just need to keep pushing through...and find my own style