Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Starting Over


I had to take a little time off from running... Sad I know but my doctor just gave me the OK to start up again.  Getting up really early is not easy for me, add to that getting dressed and going outside to run... Well let’s just say I’d rather stay in bed…  This morning was different even though I know that the first run is the hardest.  It’s crazy how people love to procrastinate…
 

Here is my running story…  
I started running 8 years ago when I lived in Boulder, Colorado.  I was married at the time with two wonderful babies under 3 and an 8 year old.  I was having a hard time losing that spare tire around my waist.  There I was watching Oprah and she was talking about how she had trained for her first marathon. I am sure you heard her story of how it gave her a huge self-esteem boost… The one thing that resonated with me was when she said… “if you do anything for 21 days it becomes a habit.” I remember running upstairs and pulling out my calendar…


I circled 21 days and decided to walk every day for 21 days.  I got out my double stroller and drove to the local reservoir.  It was a big loop and there were always moms walking, jogging and running there.  Once I started and I never looked back.  I really feel that first step helped me get strong and changed my life.  I built self-esteem and I started standing up for myself.  My first marathon helped me come to the realization that I could do anything I put my mind to... My will win gave me the strength to get out of a miserable abusive relationship.  Running literally saved my life.  I was able to understand that “Anything in life worth having is worth working for.” Running has taught me so many life lessons and more importantly it has given me inner strength and awareness.

This year my goal is to run my first 50k. My new 21 day habit starts today.  My run this morning was slow but who cares ?  What matters is that I got out of bed and went for a run... It's ok to start over.  Just to remember "never give up."


2 comments:

Nitasha said...

Words of wisdom! Needed to hear this today as my workout buddy and I just started over for the first time in weeks! Thank you and good luck on accomplishing your 50k! I know you can and will do it!

Patrick said...

I had to start over too and it was harder than beginning the first time. Glad to see on DM that you are sticking with it. Keep it up and that 50k will be a piece of cake.